Sunday, December 20, 2009

Where will this journey take us?

This morning, our four year old, Ethan, saddled Daddy up as "Silver". The Lone Ranger is fresh on his mind and he LOVES to pretend. Ethan's Lightning McQueen blankie has been transformed into The Lone Ranger's bedroll which is securely fastened to Eric's back. The Lone Ranger himself is sporting a black felt mask, a teal colored bandana around his head and a hot chocolate crusted cheeks.

Pandora magically plays the perfect Christmas playlist in the back ground. The big boys are cocking nerf guns and driving MarioKarts alternatively. And little Evan is missing somewhere in our big house. I'm pretty sure he's found a treasure in the basement toy room to occupy him for the time being.

Amazingly, I am wrapped in a cozy blanket on the couch. I'm sitting down. It is rare, but it is delightful when it happens. I just finished a book called the Strength of Mercy by Jan Beazely. This is the second Sabbath in a row when I got to read a book--another delight.

My heart and mind have been full of thoughts about marriage, adoption and more. It feels important to write them down.

Eric and I just celebrated our 10th Anniversary. Ten years of friendship, partnership, love, fun and challenges. As I think about being married to Eric Jones for this long, the predominate feeling I have is gratitude for his long-suffering and his vision over who I am. In our early years, my self-centeredness and lack of work ethic were a source of great exasperation for him. The Lord dealt with his anger and flesh-driving efforts to change me. Eric laid down his anger and his expectation for me to change and simply prayed. The result has been amazing to me. After being married to Eric Jones for 10 years, I like myself so much better. I can keep house. I'm organized, peaceful and talk less than I listen. He has prayed loveliness into my character. I am so grateful.

Ephesians 5 (NIV) says:
25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her 26to make her holy, cleansingb]">[b] her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless. 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself.
While I am far from blameless, I cannot help be in awe of my husband's hope in what God could do in my heart. His initial coaching was met with resistance, defensive and blindness. I was sure he was far too controlling. Now I see that Eric always had true discernment, Eric always held freedom and truth for me--I just couldn't see past his own fear and frustration with me.

Eric's humility and faithfulness to put down his own timeline for my change and pick up the burden to pray for his wife humbles me. He loves me that much. I am a blessed woman indeed.

As we begin to the journey of adoption and loving kids in this city and beyond, I know I can trust Eric's leadership. God has always whispered His plan into Eric's heart. God gives Eric the direction and gives me the grace to carry it out.

Heavenly Father, please guide our path. Give me to courage to take the journey with you. Give Eric the wisdom to lead and me the courage to follow. Amen.

No comments: